Monday, September 13, 2010

Time to fill your own tank

Every day can buzz along so quickly. You blink and the morning has become the afternoon.


Let's just catch a moment in the morning, as the sun is rising, to sit. We can talk together before you head off to work, eating breakfast in quiet, sipping the freshly brewed coffee. Then after you've left, I have a few moments of solitude to read, think, pray.


Then the day begins with cuddles and smiles with the children. Our chores commence, as do the lessons. We'll stop occasionally to change our activity, but there's still always work to be done. The day builds momentum and I've only snatched a moment to stop and watch the children play with the dog, or made another cuppa before starting a new project.

There are then those times when the world is weighing us down. We need to retreat, take a walk and collect acorns, or investigate the blooms out in the garden. Sometimes we'll head to a park, me with my book and them full of energy.

When they were younger, we'd play with bubbles in the bath to turn frowns into smiles. Then we'd snuggle on the couch for a hug and a story. Other days they were happy to use some quiet time to give me my needed quiet time. We help each other through the tougher times.

Friends and family are there if we need them. We've learnt to ask if there's a need. But mostly we watch each other and have developed a balance over time. I fill your tank, you fill mine, and we each fill our own individually when we need to say 'enough' for a time. This is how we work and live together, because all too soon these days will be gone.

Before we know it, it's the end of the day. You're home with me, the children have had their time to talk with you, read, cuddle and play. They are in bed and we can be quiet. Do you remember that song from Carousel, called "When the Children are Asleep"? That makes me smile, with thoughts of how I imagined my life would be before we married, and now that family is mine. ☺

When the children are asleep we sit and dream,
The things that every other dad and mother dream.
When the children are asleep and lights are low,
If I still love you the way I love you today,
You'll pardon my sayin', I told you so...
When the children are asleep, I'll dream with you
We'll think what fun we have had and be glad
That it's all came true.


This week on the TOS Blog Cruise, we're discussing this question about personal time out. "How do you find free time? Is it okay to take time for yourself? If so, how?", so if you'd like to read the advice of others, head on over HERE.





6 comments:

Joyfulmum said...

good post alecat!
I think it's very important for hs mums to have a bit of "time for themselves" during the day to avoid burnout!
my dd usually has a "quiet time" now that she doesn't nap anymore, in the afternoons, like right now:), when I get to do something for "time out" for me:)

Our Homeschool Reviews said...

Great post! Thanks for stopping by mine!

Samantha said...

Your post was like poetry! I like how it seemed as if you were reading it to your husband.

Samantha

Michelle Downunder said...

A refreshing post.
Thanks!
Michelle

Lori Watson said...

A very nice post! I agree, it had a poetic flow.

Thanks for sharing your perspective on my post as well. I appreciate the feedback! :-)

Helena said...

I loved this, alecat. Thank you. :-)