Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Composer studies: upgrading books and a look at Bach

Music does fill a fair bit of our family life, so what I'd consider 'incidental learning' happens here quite often.  With Maestro doing very well with his violin playing, and Mariposa taking so well to the piano, they are also learning the mechanics of music very well.

We've discussed composers before, and had a composer 'theme of the month'.  However,we need to keep this up and it's something I'd let slip a little last year.  My other music students should also be exposed to more information about various composers, so guess what?!  I'm looking at more books and fun ways to include this into our homeschool diet again.

In the past I relied heavily on my "In Classical Mood" cds with their accompanying booklets.  Now I'm adding to that with some more living books that I've found listed on the Living Books Curriculum site, as well as some audio books.  These audio books are actually the Classical Kids cds, of which I've selected a few titles from ebay to purchase first .. perfect for car trips!



So, where are we starting?  Well, we're looking at Bach.  Maestro is learning a violin piece known as "Where Sheep May Safely Graze".  We're also studying Medieval times, so I'm planning to keep our studies happening along the timeline we're following as much as possible (with the help from the Young Scholar's Guide to Composers).

 





We'll also look at things like fugues and canons.  I have a lovely cd from Amy Grant, where she uses part of a fugue to introduce her song "Sing Your Praise to the Lord".






Via Angie's Petra School blog, I've just come across Julie's site, A Teaching Heart.  Julie is running a study on composers every Thursday, so please jump on over and join in!


a teaching heart

Thank you for dropping by!


1 comment:

Mel said...

Oh yes we love Opal Wheeler books! We have two - the one on Bach and another about Mozart. We managed to pick both up from second hand book stores and I'm toying with the idea of reading them again to the children. The rest of your books look wonderful as well - have fun! Mel x