Friday, January 27, 2012

Any thoughts on 'Schedules'?

This morning I find myself seriously thinking about schedules.  Should I write one up and really try to stick to it?  Should I post it up somewhere on a wall for everyone to see?  How rigid should a routine be to suit our needs, given I'm also teaching most afternoons?

Why am I thinking about this again now?  Is it because we've had a decent break and I'm just trying to get my head together, or is it because I really believe the children and I will benefit from this?  My children are now ages 13 and 10, so they are capable of quite a bit of learning, but need their own creative times.

I've wandered around a few forums and had a look at advice from others, and also considered our past experiences.  Down to Earth has been discussing theirs for homekeeping.  Well Trained Mind has advice about 'Managers of Their Homes'.  Then there's Catherine Levison's book about my preferred teaching method, Charlotte Mason, with her outline schedule in A Charlotte Mason Education.

So, I'm just thinking about all this.  I'll probably continue to ponder on it whilst finishing up some jobs in the kitchen, too.

I have an outline of what the daily routine may look like, which was put together once the dance timetable came in.  Here's what it's looking like so far:



Is anyone else a scheduler and have ideas/thoughts to share?

 Thank you for dropping by!

 

2 comments:

Rebeccagettingreal said...

I always have a loose schedule for each day, I have time blocked out for our lessons, I even have a rough weekly lesson schedule. It's not about the schedule, it is all about being flexiable within that schedule. Good luck, you seem to be incrediably busy in the afternoons.

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Hi Rebecca,
Yes, very busy afternoons .. and you're absolutely right that it's about the flexibility.
I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm that rigid with our days, but we do need a bit of a guideline. :)