Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A delightful read

It's been some time since I just picked up a light-hearted novel to read for my own pleasure.  Whilst over at the Down To Earth forum, ladies were sharing what they were reading this month. Amongst all the discussion on those posts, the "Elm Creek Quilts series" was mentioned and raised my interest.

I am so glad that I followed up and checked out the first book at the library, entitled The Quilter's Apprentice.  This book has been just delightful!    A few years ago I tried my hand at a few quilts, but I'd still say I was very much a novice.  I related to the character Sarah in her endeavours to begin learning, but she had a tutor throughout the story.  It felt like I was right there watching and listening.


This story is more than just the practicalities of quilt making, it's the interweaving of two characters who seem so contrary at the beginning, but who end up helping each other learn truths and begin to overcome past hurts in their personal histories.

As I was reading this, I could almost see it as a beautiful mini-series for the screen.  I know it's set in America, but my admiration for Judy Dench did have my mind's eye put her in the role of Mrs Compson.  But who should play Sarah?  Kate Beckinsale?  I don't know .. lol!

Anyway, I'm hooked on this series now and have already reserved the next two titles to read, plus the book with the actual 'how to make the quilts' from the stories.  Yes, I think this may just become a mother/daughter project for Mariposa and I (smiles!)

You can check out the order of the books here on Amazon.    AND (... oh joy!! ...) google has just revealed that the author has a site where you may join the Elm Creek readers community  http://elmcreek.net/ .

Thank you for dropping by!

No comments: