Saturday, November 16, 2013

Our home ... reminising


I'll never forget the date of us moving into our first home. November 15th, 1996.  It's been our first and only house for 17 years now!  Doesn't time go so quickly?

When we went looking for this home, the goal was to find somewhere with a really good sized backyard and a lovely atmosphere; somewhere we'd be happy to stay and raise our family for a number of years.  This anniversary is a really good time to stop and be thankful that we've found that here.  For the most part, we've had lovely neighbours, some of whom have moved and most who are still here. I think I got to know most of them really well when I used to spend hours gardening out the front and people would stop by for a chat.

The house itself has gone through it's progressive stages of change. We bought it knowing that it required improvements. Each year was a new goal to fix up something. New fences, a proper driveway, guttering redone, the pergola completely remade, repainted throughout, bathroom renovated, outside sunblinds put up, floorboards polished, a new bedroom created by dividing the rumpus room ....  A house really can go through quite a change when there's a family growing up within it's walls over many years!!


A lovely reminder of our establishment here are our fruit trees.  They were planted as soon as we could get them in, except for the apricot tree which went in on Maestro's first birthday.  They've been bearing delicious fruit for us each Summer for many years now.  I couldn't imagine not having them here now!

There is still a list of things we'd like to do here, and we'll continue to plod along doing one thing at a time as we're able.  But I'm thankful that we've had our place, here, for so long and through all our family adventures.  Who knows what could happen further along the road. :)

2 comments:

Joyfulmum said...

Hi Catherine

Just saying a quick hello! I've been away from blog land a fair bit of this year but I just spent a while catching up on your blog :) I wanted to thank you for posting all the stuff you do with your children especially for the high school years. We are still a few years off from that but I'm sure I will be referring to it in the future and also I'm sure it's been berry helpful for other high school mums. Just wanted to say thanks for that :)
Rosemary

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Hello Rosemary!
How lovely of you to take time to visit me here. Thank you for your lovely comment. :)
Catherine