Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Chemistry: the balancing act

This post has been in my draft box since July ... but I thought I'd still publish this in case it's of use to others. Sorry it's taken so long!

I've finally caught up with Maestro in his Apologia Chemistry (2nd ed) book.  He had slowed down quite a bit once he hit module 4, where he began working on balancing chemical equations.  Just prior to applying the algebra part to his work, there is a quick list of elements he must memorise as they never appear as single atoms.  It's a bit like remembering the spelling rule that some letters need to be doubled when put after a short vowel ... they need to be memorised.

This list of elements which are NOT composed of single atoms are called homonuclear diatomics. The list (for our reference as much as for others) is as follows:

Hydrogen (H2)
Nitrogen (N2)
Oxygen (O2)
Fluorine (F2)
Chlorine (Cl2)
Iodine (I2)
Bromine (Br2)

I also pulled out an atom molecular kit, similar to this available on ebay. It really helped to physically make up the compounds and redistribute the atoms required to balance the formulae in the book (where it was possible to do so).

Here are some websites which allows one to practice balancing of chemical equations.  These are a few we've tried:
- Stinks and Bangs!  takes you step by step
- Jefferson Lab
- PhET's similation program ... great for visualisation with the balance scale (I think this is my favourite of the three  )
- Battleships .. if you have the right co-ordinates, the bomb only activates if you balance the equation correctly
- Rags to Riches

If you're doing chemistry with your children this year, I'd love to hear how you're getting on!  This is one subject I'm having to sit and learn WITH my son, as I only remember doing it in part until it became an elective and I dropped it in favour of Biology.

Update .. we're well and truly through half of this chemistry book now.  An update will be forthcoming. (smile!)

Until next time!
Catherine

3 comments:

Ruby said...

Wow! You have both done well. This is not a favourite area in our house and not one we have dabbled into.

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Hello Ruby!
Yes, it's been what I'd call 'a slow and steady' plod through this book, but we're finding that J.Wile does explain it all well enough to understand. We just need to take small bites at a time. :)

lahbluebonnet said...

We used this book! My daughter struggled but my son excelled with it. I don't remember any extra helps that we found.

Laurie