Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Queen's Birthday weekend 2013

What a splendid winter's day, with all the chill that comes from the clear night skies, to the warmer sunshine we all sought out wherever there was a place to sit and soak up the warmth.

We've enjoyed a long weekend, in celebration of the Queen's official birthday (as opposed to her actual birthday in April). She's celebrated 87 years, now.


I wondered about any traditions that may happen in the UK on her birthday, but had never looked into until today.  An article on the ITV website mentioned that the Queen's official birthday is always marked with the Trooping the Colour. This was the first time I've heard of this event (probably most shameful that I don't know this, as I'm sure my parents would know!!)





Overview video of Trooping the Colour 
from the perspective of the Ensign

It's interesting what you find out when you dig around a little for some meanings to our customs. :)

Until next time!

Catherine


No comments: