Wednesday, June 12, 2013

New exam song: A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square

It's time for another singing lesson this morning!  I'm really enjoying the coaching I'm receiving from my teacher this year.  It's funny that sometimes she'll break off from teaching to share some new piano music she's found, or a new book she's trying out to use with her younger piano students.  We'll collaborate a little, then go back to my lesson again.

There have been times when my voice just doesn't want to co-operate during those warmups.  That 'break' between chest and middle voice is where I come undone, but the success rate is rising and I'm really hoping for everything to go smoothly today!

I've had a challenge learning my new Concone vocalise (ie: a tune with no lyrics, so I just sing 'ah' for each note).  I'm enjoying this new melody, and have had to practice up my technique with 'staccatissimo'.


And I have a new song to learn!: A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square.  It's nice to have something that's a little more contemporary after working on Handel (Where'ere You Walk).

I knew I'd heard this piece before and after some searching on You Tube I believe it's the Nat King Cole version I was vaguely familiar with.  However, the exam piece has much less rubato, sounding more like this version sung by Vera Lynn.


Isn't it pretty?  I love how Vera sings this.  Her tone is amazing!

Getting sidetracked .. I just found out we share the same maiden name.  I wonder if we're VERY distantly related?  Just a thought.  :)

Hoping you all have a lovely day, and there's a tune you're enjoying.

Until next time,

Catherine

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh. Yes, Vera Lynne sounds amazing! And I learnt all about transitioning when Cait's voice *broke* It has taken years...& years...to settle & is really only just coming good again now. She had trouble moving between her upper & lower registers & certain notes on the border still given her a little trouble.

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

That transition zone sure it tricky! I'm trying to learn as much as I can through my trials with this so I can help others if I continue teaching singing myself. :)

I wish I could hear how Cait's progressing. I'm sure she's doing an amazing job! :)

Unknown said...

I only have links to her choir as she stopped recording herself when she felt she sounded awful. lol Quite a dint to her ego. :)