Monday, February 4, 2013

Our 2013 schedule and curriculum

Okay, I confess!  I am (still!) a schedule addict!

I, personally, LOVE seeing what other people do to help organise their time.  I enjoy reading through their ideas and seeing if it would be something that may fit our family lifestyle.

So, in saying that, please take this post as a way of sharing in case you are part of that type of audience who does like seeing the ideas of others.  I don't want to send a whole lot of readers into a panic.  No, you don't NEED to write up a schedule like this!  This is 'me' and how I work, and I'm just sharing if you'd like a peek into my life.

Also, do note that I don't claim to have everything perfect here.  We certainly DO!! have off-days, even off-weeks. Sometimes we are so engrossed in learning a particular topic that we spend longer on it than a written schedule allows ... so I'm flexible.  However, for my purposes, I do need an outline of how to manage our time. This is my guideline, especially where having extra students for music are concerned.

What do I use to organise our homeschool routine?

Well, I drew a lot of inspiration from Managers of Their Homes, so will still write out our routine in that format.  It works so nicely and I can print it out easily enough and paste it into my diary to check against appointments, etc.  If you'd like a look at last year's schedule again, please see here and here.  Below is a screen shot of how our 2013 schedule is looking at the moment:

click image to enlarge


Today was our first day back to the books.  It was great seeing the children enthused and pulling the books out.  We did have a few disorganised moments here and there, but I was really pleased to see that the day ran quite well.  Tomorrow may be another story, but today ... we're all happy. :)



Here is what we are using in 2013 (taking up where we left off last year):

Maestro (age 14):

  • Wordly Wise 9
  • IEW (B continuation course, then Speech Boot Camp), plus adhoc writing journal/comprehension
  • Math U See Geometry
  • History Odyssey: Early Modern 2, with readers from Sonlight Core H and 100.
  • Apologia's Physical Science
  • A collection of other books on life skills.  He's already reading Money Matters Workbook for Teens. CLE's Home Maintenance is his next elective choice.
  • Dance (ballet, jazz, hip hop)

Mariposa (age 11):
  • Phonetic Zoo A
  • IEW (A) plus adhoc writing journal/comprehension
  • Singapore Maths level 4, book 1, then level 5
  • Sonlight Core D+E
  • Sonlight Science F (3/4 through from last year), then Science E.
  • CLE's Home Economics, plus sewing projects I'll put together.
  • Piano lessons (preliminary).
  • Horseriding
  • Dance (hip hop)

Together we'll also be using:
Well ... that's the plan!  I can't believe another year's already underway.  I hope you ALL have a wonder 2013, and I look forward to sharing more as the year goes on. :)

Until next post!

Catherine

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hi Catherine, I love to have a schedule to keep me on track and organised, yet I like to be flexible too. Your year looks interesting and great. We're into our second week here, but it's been very lite, just so we can all slide easily back into learning.