Monday, December 7, 2009

Enjoyed this read

Reading Choosing Eden was like reading some thoughts I've had over the years, and then following through with the experience of putting those thoughts into practice with lots of contagious zeal.

Adrienne begins her book with the realisation that crude oil isn't going to last forever.  Yes, we use crude oil for an awful lot of products. It's become the fuel of our society, changing how we do things in our daily lives, our expectations from needs and wants, the drive of the war in consumerism.

So many good points for pondering are brought up throughout the book, just as one would usually have a thought one day, but then it resurfaces again from another aspect on further occassions.  However, the first part of the book details a lot of discovery around the whole issue of crude oil.

Then we move into a phase where the decision to move out of suburbia and set up a self-sufficient lifestyle takes place.  Now here I really enjoyed her journey, because this is as far as hubby and I have ever been: educating ourselves and looking around for property.  However, we've not had the financial opportunity to physically relocate to a larger property.  Adrienne recommends some books that I'll be seeking out in our library as well as some I've already read.  This lady writes in a fashion that leaves me wanting to do more research and ask more questions.

Once they've found their new home, there is the enormous task of setting out their plans and then putting them into action.  Lovely relationships with neighbours are made, challenges overcome when seeking to apply permaculture vs traditional farming, and a whole new world of 'country living' opened up.

This book has been a very refreshing, easy-to-read book.  She won't give you ALL the answers, but if you pick up her many leads, you'll want to go and learn more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alecat,
I read this book too, and yes - it also led me into more research. I never realised just how dependant we are on oil, nor quite how many products are derived from it. The chapters I most enjoyed were those about their new farm amd life. I think their challenges were more easily met because they seemed to have the necessary funds available, which I would guess wouldn't be the case with most people. Not us, anyway..twould be one thing for T and I to buy a country property, quite another to be able to easily plough in the $ wherever needed!
Debbie xo