Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A new moon

A new moon tonight - the beginning of a new month for sowing in the garden, as well as all the other symbolism of which we're mindful.

We're slowly working our way back to the Autumnal equinox, which, for some reason, is when I start getting really itching to dig up my garden beds~! I think it's because after the heat of summer, everything looks so pityful and I desperately want to rescue it from it's misery. However, patience usually pays off as summer often tries to throw another day of fury our way in the final weeks of March, then everything calms down.

I've been contemplating carefully what we'll sow this week and how. Aldi often have boxes they no longer need, especially the polystyrene, so I've collected a few ready to put in some salad greens (you can NEVER have too many of these!!) These are going to be placed in a protected but well lit area near my back door.

Last month Maestro and I planted out some wheat we'd sprouted as part of his Social Studies work in one such box, as we've done a study on the Australian Wheat Industry. I know it was really the wrong time of year to do this, but it seems to be coming along nicely enough. The aim was for him to have a go at growing, harvesting and collecting the edible grains. If it doesn't work this time around, we'll definitely try again later in the year, sowing in early Spring like we were meant to.

So, perhaps I should ask, how many others organise their gardening by the moon? It made sense to me when I saw a documentary on free-to-air television one night, but I can't recall the name of it. If I knew, I'd probably have bought it on dvd by now, lol! Anyhow, this documentary showed an experiment on how a potato was growing underground, as if it were growing in spurts depending on the moon's gravitational pull. I know ... and if I find the name of the dvd, I'll post about it! Meanwhile, there's plenty of information available on websites. Here's a site in the U.S. which is an easy read: Planting by the Moon. The Italians also have high regard for the lunar cycle. For Aussie readers, have you visited Aussie Organic Gardening? Fabulous advice!

No comments: