Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Tagged for a homeschool meme

Thank you Erin, for tagging me! It's taken me several days to think through my answers to these questions, and I probably still haven't fully gathered all my thoughts properly, but it's a quiet morning and I'm going to attempt to answer these questions now.

1. One homeschooling book you have enjoyed

I have also read several homeschooling books, and all have something in them that's been helpful.

One of the most enjoyable books I've read, though is Karen Andreola's Charlotte Mason Companion.  It's simply put, and encourages the nurturing of the whole child .. spirit and academic.  I always have preference to a gentle approach, and this book is very gently written.

2. One resource you wouldn't be without
Wow .. one resource .. ?  Okay, I'm going to say my Sonlight catalogue.  Right there I have a list of fabulous books that will keep the children (and myself!) engaged in quality learning for a very .. long .. time.

3. One resource you wish you had never bought
Unfortunately, for us, Sequential Spelling was a fizzer when we tried it.  It brought tears like I'd never experienced from Mariposa before.  She hated that she couldn't practice the words before having the 'test', and because spelling isn't her strong point, the frustration that it caused was absolutely unbearable.
I really like how it seemed to work, as it's a 'learn the patterns as you go' type of curriculum.  It probably would have worked well on someone who processes visually well, like Maestro, but it really didn't work at all for Mariposa.
(We ended up changing to All About Spelling with success ... just so you know there was a happy ending to that little drama.)

4. One resource you enjoyed last year
Sonlight's Science, for both children.  We're really getting into science now, especially loving the experiments.  Maestro completed Science E (Electricity, Magnetism and Astronomy), and Mariposa completed Science D (Biology, Taxonomy and Human Anatomy).

5. One resource you will be using next year
(does it count if we've already just started?)
NOEO Science, Chemistry.  This, again, will be for Mariposa because she really thrives with hands-on learning.  So, we're going to make things fizz, bubble and pop, no matter how simple, and learn about atoms, molecules and elements along the way. 

From there, we'll go back to Sonlight Science F.

6. One resource you would like to buy
A tutor in Spanish.  Yep, I struggle with other languages, and I don't feel it's really fair on my children to miss out because of me.  If I could afford to, and there was real interest, I'd have them tutored. 

7. One resource you wish existed
I don't know .... I daren't say, because I know that I haven't got an exhaustive knowledge of all that's out there!  I'll just keep looking around as I need to. :)

8. One homeschool catalogue you enjoy reading
Again, my Sonlight catalogues.

9. One homeschooling website you use regularly
Rockpoolhomschool - homeschool forum.  My eyes started to open at all the resources available to homeschoolers right here!

10 Tag six other homeschoolers
I'd love to hear from any of my readers:)

2 comments:

Erin said...

Loved reading your thoughts:) thank you.
Sequential Speller was a fizzler here too. Haven't hear of rockpool before. What is it?

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

"Rockpool Homeschool" is a homeschooling forum.
It's a very eclectic bunch of people (ie: not all Christian) .. but I've made some lovely friends through there. :)