Thursday, April 1, 2010

A new ironing board cover

It's one of those "I'm gonna do it soon .." jobs.  I don't know how many times I've pulled out the ironing board and bemoaned the fact that the cover needs replacing. Well, today was the day to get this task done and it only took a couple of hours.

The op-shop has been a great place to find material, in the form of unwanted single sheets. For $4 I found a pretty double bed sheet, still quite new (or maybe it was new!?), which will suffice for this project plus a few more.


First of all, I folded 1/2 a flannelette sheet into a few layers and literally tacked it onto the ironing board to create some padding, using a doubled thick cotton thread.

Next, take the old ironing cover and lay it onto the fabric .. instant pattern!

Cut it out with a seam allowance (I allowed 1.5")

Next cut 3" strips of fabric on the bias and join all the pieces at an angle (45deg). This forms the casing around the perimeter of the cover.











Fold the casing fabric over and double topstitch into place.

If you have cord, thread this through the casing. Or, what I did was to trim off the side hems from the sheet, fold and sew along the length to create a cord.


Once threaded through, fit the covering onto the ironing board. Voila!
I think I only used about $1 worth of the fabric, so I'll get creative another day to make a few more items, like a peg apron.

4 comments:

Ruby said...

Nice job on the ironing board cover. Your blog is looking nice too. Template change?

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Hi Ruby, and thank you.
Yes, a new template. I tried out Blogger's new 'Template Designer Feature'. http://bloggerindraft.blogspot.com/2010/03/blogger-template-designer.html

Anonymous said...

Hi Alecat.
Wow - clever you!

I like your new look blog, too.

Blessings,
Jillian ♥

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Thank you Jillian. :)