Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Newton's First Law

Maestro has just started learning about Isaac Newton. Yes, we're really into early physics now!  This is where I think I was going to start panicking about teaching a teen (I don't remember the little physics I did in High School too well). However, I plan on keeping my cool and learning along side him, which means having fun looking for online links.


picture from here

Today was about Newton's first law, also known as the "Law of Inertia". I found a great support site to help us with the information: The Physics Classroom.  There are some basic animations there which help demonstrate the concept really well.

Apologia's experiment in Physical Science is with a coin balanced on an index card, which is all placed over a glass, is very similar to this fun demonstration on You Tube.  Here's one experiment you CAN try at home! :)


AND ... (just editing this in 14/12/12) ... I just came across this fabulous site which has HEAPS of science demos: Steve Spangler Science. Have a look at this fabulous demonstration of Newton's First Law with raw eggs going into a glass of water:



We'll be reading some more about Isaac Newton on this biography from Michael Fowler.  This will give some background and whole lot more scope to what Maestro's studying now.  At this stage, I don't have a book to share, but will probably be checking for some on our next library trip.

Here is another really well put video on inertia:


Should be spelt "Centripetal Force".

And for those who enjoy learning their facts through song {grin!} you can learn this song: "Newtons Laws" to the tune of Feniculi, Fenicula by Luigi Denza. (I don't think Maestro will be too keen hearing this version, but it'll certainly help ME!  I'll just make sure I start learning it and singing it whilst he's around.)

Until next post!

Catherine

No comments: