Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Horse flicks

Roddy McDowell, Elizabeth Taylor, and Mickey Rooney all share one thing in common. Do you know what it is? Horse movies!

We've been enjoying some old favourites c/- some op shop treasure hunting. Flicka and Thunderhead (Son of Flicka) started the ball rolling, but now National Velvet is a certain favourite.


Black Beauty and The Black Stallion are still on the shelf, patiently waiting their turn to show their stories. I think they'll be waiting a little longer at the pace we're going.

I don't know what it is about young girls and their affinity with horses. I know it wasn't something in my blood, but Mariposa has certainly inherited something. We knew the interest was there before she turned three, because on her third birthday hubby and I bought her a little porcelain horse with a clear knowledge of the attraction.


It is just such a cute merry-go-round pony, and it plays music as it sways back and forth.


My mother-in-law grew up in South America, and there she used to help her parents raise and break in horses. I can just imagine seeing her galloping about, bareback, and her long dark hair trailing behind her. She's shared a couple of stories with us of her childhood, and I always end up with this certain image in my mind that I marry up from the stories and the few photos we have of her youth. See, there is something in the blood, but it's on the other side of the family!

This interest has led to a keen desire to have more horse-riding lessons. It's been quite a while since Mariposa has had one, primarily due to the cost. However, as she's now changing a few interests and I've taken on a couple more music students, we may be able to fit this in once a fortnight or so.


Meanwhile, I don't mind sharing the enjoyment of watching these classic films on an occasional afternoon. I think there are a few lines from National Velvet that I'm hearing echoed in play already. Oh yes, and I've also had a request for a dress that looks like Velvet's, "please Mum!". (smiles!)

Are there any other fans of horse flicks out there? What's one of your favourites?

No comments: