Sunday, May 10, 2009

Lunch ideas: pizza rolls

I'm happy to say that we managed to stick well within our fortnightly budget these past 2 weeks. In fact, we had some SAVINGS!!

The children were troupers, helping me think of ideas for meals. I discovered the website of the Destitute Gourmet, then borrowed one of the cookbooks from a friend ... more ideas!! Head on over to see her latest blog called Bring on the Beans, where two friends are encouraging each other to put on their frugal beanies and encourage saving with a healthy lifestyle. Lots of fun! :)

Today I'm baking again. I've made up a triple quantity of my Basic Bread dough. From this I have made 2 loaves, and the remaining third I'm using to make some pizza rolls. This is a very simple idea I saw on one of those midday cooking shows, many years ago when I had time to sit whilst nursing one of the babies.

Here it is in a nutshell:

Roll the dough out into a rectangle.

Slice into triangles (I've made 14 in total here).







Saute' some diced onion and capsicum. Let it cool.

Onto the cut dough, sprinkle on some cheese (mozerella or tasty). Then spoon on some of the saute'd vegies.

You could use other things if you have them on hand too. Basically, anything suitable as pizza toppings. I think next time I'll try some diced sundried tomatoes and feta. MMMMmmm! :)

Okay, time to roll it! From the wide base, roll it toward the point so it looks like a croissant. Yes, some filling will spill everywhere, but you can sprinkle it on top later or push it back into the sides.

Place on a baking tray lined with paper, then leave to rise.

Bake for 30 mins.

These are great on their own for a snack, or with soup for lunch.

3 comments:

Miss Maccy said...

Those look wonderful!!! Thanks for the shout-out!

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

I think you're doing a great thing. :)
I'm playing my game solo; I don't have enough children and we're not on dietary restrictions. Whatsmore, we eat soup for dinner sometimes, lol!!

Anonymous said...

We try and keep within budget, too. The pizza rolls sound excellent. We are having vegetable soup for dinner tonight.
Blessings,
Jillian