Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Composer of the month: Gustav Holst

We're yet again inspired to learn about another composer based on what the children are learning with their violin lessons.

Maestro is learning the theme of "Jupiter", so we're going to focus on the collection of works called "The Planets" by Gustav Holst.


Jupiter, of course, will be the highlight. It's main theme is quite inspirational and has been used for the popular English piece called "I vow to Thee my country."

With regard to art, the famous Australian, Leonard French, has a work displayed at the National Library (see the 5th page of this paper to view a picture and also this article) which was inspired by Holst's Planets.
Locally, I think we'll visit the National Gallery of Victoria to view the glass ceiling.

It's only fair that we discuss a bit about ancient Rome's gods, as the planets have been named after them. Here are some simple notes and photographed artwork the children can use. I know Story of the World will cover this, but we're not up to that as yet. So, I'm sure the library will have some books to help us out with books such as this: Gods and goddesses of Ancient Rome by Leon Ashworth.


Another work Holst is know for is St. Paul's Suite. I don't have a recording of this, so will be relying on You Tube. There are interesting notes here about how this composition came about whilst in his teaching position.

To read a follow-up post on Holst (re: Mars), go here.

6 comments:

Ganeida said...

That is a really cool music link. I don't know much about music myself but having a very musical child have struggled to find really good sources to use in conjunction with our music history curriculum.

I thought this would be something else Ditz baulked at but once she got the picture she knew a lot of classical music already either through her violin & flute pieces or from the movies she got enthusiastic. Funny kid.

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Good morning Ganeida! :)

We've always tried to have lots of music 'happening' in the home, usually just playing cds at dinner time. As the children are getting older, they're remembering more of the pieces of information, so I'm trying to serve it up regularly, but not too formally. Thus, the 'composer of the month' focus.
As long as they have fun.

Ganeida said...

As an aside: I was pottering round on youtube this morning & NASA has some great vids up on the electromagnetic sounds emanating from Jupiter & Saturn. I don't know how to upload these things or I would have posted on it this morning. Saturn has these really exquisite chimes ~ thought to be caused by meatortites [sorry can't spell to save my life this morning] hitting the ice rings. Very cool.

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Thanks Ganeida. :)
I had a quick thought about looking into the NASA site but then must gotten distracted. I'll be checking out those sound recordings!!!!

Mel said...

Ooh, i like how you cover music! The composer of the month is a great idea....i'll be pinching that one!!
Melanie x

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Thanks Melanie. :)