Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Origami for maths

We had a fun 45 minute maths lesson today, all based on origami.

This was a project a maths tutor had taught me when I went to Teacher's College. It's called the Sonobe Module. I remember trying it out on my brothers and sisters at home. Well today was the day for trying it out on my own children.

Full instructions can be found here or here.

You need 6 sheets of paper, either all different colours, or as I have done with 3 colours.



With the 3 colours, you can achieve a pattern, which makes the construction a little more challenging.

There are plenty of other sites offering LOTS of ideas for marrying maths and origami.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome! I'd love for you to consider submitting this post for the next Homeschool Showcase.

I'm putting this on the list of things to do with my kiddos.

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Thank you Kris! :)
I've taken your advice and submitted it. I hope it's useful, and FUN, for others!
alecat

UK lass in US said...

I used to make these as a kid and it has always bugged me that I couldn't remember how to any more. Thank you.

Thanks for stopping by.

Robert Bravery said...

Awesome. Can you believe it, our son Daniel, loves Origami. He got a book and kit on Origami for his birthday, 14 Feb. He will absolutely love this when I show it to him.
Fantastic idea.

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Wow, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's amazing how quickly the children learn to do this, then present the puzzle to their peers.
Thank you all for dropping by! :)

Unknown said...

I love papercrafts! Great living math project. And pretty too.

Heather J. said...

They did a great job. My husband loves origami, especially modular stuff. You can check out his blog at
http://stephensorigami.blogspot.com/

Confessions Of A Homeschooler said...

Oh those are super cool! Thanks for commenting so I could come visit! :o)

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Thank you for the link, Heather!
There's a FEAST of information there. :)